Inner City Environmental given the role of the asbestos removal contractor for Union House project.
Downwell Demolition were appointed by the developer Dandara to take on the role of Principal Contractor to demolish the structure.
The site is to be redeveloped over the next couple of years to include residential properties and new local parking.
- Green Shield Environmental completed a Demolition and Refurbishment for the building, which identified all of the asbestos materials throughout the structure.
- Firstly the site had to have the hygiene facility established to provide suitable cleaning facilities for the workers.
- Wearing the correct PPE the work area was pre-cleaned of non-ACM, ensuring that all objects and debris are removed. This helps to ensure that the work area and waste transit routes are free from debris.
- A section of the site was subjected to an environmental clean due to site having been occupied by squatters. They had been using a room in the building to take drugs and had left a large amount of needles and other drug paraphernalia. The operatives completing the cleaning had to wear specialist pierce proof clothing.
- 3 enclosures were erected using 1000-gauge polythene, incorporating the air locks and bag locks. CCTV systems installed in the enclosures to ensure that the works can be clearly viewed from the outside.
- Smoke tests were completed in the enclosures to check that there are no gaps. Once this was completed, a 3-bar warning sign was displayed on the front flap of the air lock to designate the area as now live.
- The removal works involved removing over 12m² of Asbestos insulation board (AIB) panels and debris, 38m² of thermal insulation residue to the walls and <50lm of thermal insulation residue to the pipes within the lower basement. These works were completed under fully controlled conditions.
- Removal of 5415m² of bitumen adhesive, 2lm of cement flue pipe, 40 units containing flash guards, 282m² floor tiles, 370m² textured coating, 19 x AIB lined doors, 54 gaskets, 276m² asbestos cement panels & 5lm of asbestos cement brake shoes under semi-controlled conditions.
- All the asbestos waste was removed from the areas by firstly placing it into regulation waste bags, sealed with tape and then transported to the waste skip via the designated transit route.
- Once the removal works were complete the areas were subjected to a fine clean using a H Type vacuum cleaner and taking rags.
- The area is then firstly inspected but the Supervisor before being handed over to an analyst who will conduct their own inspection, followed by an air-test being completed before handing the areas back to Downwell.